Candidate Eligibility Requirements
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE FOR ELECTIVE OFFICE
Any citizen meeting the qualifying requirements herein listed and is interested in election to City office shall file with the City Clerk, a fully and properly executed application for his or her name to appear on the ballot. This application must be filed in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas. (City Charter, Section 6.04.)
CURRENTLY SEATED OFFICIALS
Any elected City Official who applies to become a candidate for an office or place other than the one currently held must resign his or her elected office if the scheduled term of the office or place currently held would overlap with the one for which application is being made. The resignation must be announced at least thirty (30) days prior to the filing deadline and the effective date of the resignation must be no later than the date of the related election. Any vacancy created by such resignation shall be filled at the related election. (City Charter, Section 6.04)
Eligibility requirements as prescribed in the Election Code, Title 9., Candidates, Chapter 141. Candidacy for Public Office Generally; Subchapter A. Eligibility for Public Office. To be eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, a public elective office in this state, a person must: (Texas State Statute/Election Code)
- be a United States Citizen,
- be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election on date of appointment,
- have not been determined to be mentally incapacitated,
- have not been convicted of a felony.
Town of Horizon City 2017 Elections News
Election Day is Saturday, May 6, 2017
On May 6, 2017, the Town of Horizon City voters will elect Representatives for City Council Places 1, 2, 4 and 6; all representatives will be elected to a four-year term.
Candidate Packets including applications for place on ballot may be picked up from the City Clerk's Office beginning on Monday, December 19, 2016. The first day for filing an application for place on ballot will be Wednesday, January 18, 2017. The last day for filing an application for place on ballot will be Friday, February 17, 2017.
· December 19, 2016 Candidate Packets available for download (physical copies are also available in the City Clerk's Office)
· January 17, 2017 Semi-Annual Candidate Campaign Finance Reports due
· January 18, 2017 First day for filing an application for place on ballot
· February 17, 2017 Last day for filing an application for place on ballot
· February 28, 2017 Drawing for order of names on ballot (3:00 p.m. City Hall Conference Room)
· April 6, 2017 Candidate Campaign First Finance Reports due (30th day before election)
· April 28, 2017 Candidate Campaign Second Finance Reports due (9th day before election)
· May 6, 2017 Election Day